September 11, 2009

Week 2 Reflection

Everything Google
I am so excited after class on Tuesday! I am in love with Google!! They have so many awesome tools to use and they're free! As a future educator I definitely plan on using Google tools.

I'm already familiar with Google calendar and I use it on a daily basis. However, it never occurred to me that I could also use it as a teacher! I plan on creating a class website for my future preschool, complete with Google calendar. That way parents can easily see upcoming field trips, holidays, etc. It's a great way to stay connected.

I was first introduced to Google Docs, during class this week. I had no idea that tool even existed! I am ecstatic to begin using it! I am always wanting to work on a paper at school, but can't access it from my files at home. Now I can keep all of my papers online wherever I go! The online collaborator is such a valuable tool for students. I plan to use Google docs to create parent newsletters for my future preschool.

'Pay Attention' Video
I was really moved by this video! It really made me think 'out of the box' as a future educator. It makes complete sense to use technology in the classroom today. I think that using podcasts, online videos, and even cell phones is the perfect way to reach students today. My only concern is making sure that students who don't have access to certain technology or can't afford cell phones or i pods, aren't excluded from assignments. It would be crucial for schools to receive funding for current technology and educational electronics.

As teachers, we need to make sure that our teaching methods evolve with our students. I found some sites online that I plan to use in my future preschool. For example, I found a video clip of Elmo from Sesame Street, explaining how to stay healthy during the flu season. There are so many great resources at our fingertips! It is crucial that educators continue to stay afloat of new educational technology that can enhance the classroom and the student experience.

No comments: