January 29, 2009

extracurriculars

Ok guys, I am SO overwhelmed by extracurriculars right now! What should I have my kids do?? There are too many choices! I'm signing up El for soccer this fall for sure. Both girls are begging me to do ballet & then there's swimming lessons & piano, etc., etc! What do you guys have your kids doing? El used to do gymnastics, but we stopped because she wasn't following directions & was just running all over the place! She is older now & I think she would do well in some sort of sport or activity. When do you start swimming lessons & piano lessons anyway? It's just kind of stressful because I want the girls to have some sort of skill or hobby, but I don't know how to decide on one major thing that they will do for the rest of their life! Let me know what you guys think!

3 comments:

Valerie L. Domann said...

Well, this is coming from the Queen of Extra-Curriculars! You know, SuperMom.

They really find their nitch as they grow. You have to give them opportunities but not too many. If you are stressed, so are they. I would wait on the piano thing until they are at least 7.

I would do swimming for 1-2 months per year, each year.

I would do Ballet once a week if you can.

I would do music classes if you can afford it or ice skating or soccer, pick one, not both and then rotate them throughout these years. You really don't want them to get really good at one thing at this age because then they become one of those phenom kids and the lessons get more expensive.

It's good for them to just dip into the water of hobbies and sports.

They will tell you what they like. Makenzie sings all day long. That is hers, she also dances well. and LOVES animals.

Callie loves art and english and crafts.

You don't have to worry until they are in jr. high.

Love ya

emily said...

I've always been so lazy when it comes to other activities. We've done 1 session of swimming, 1 sememster of piano, 2 semesters of ballet. And Elle is in a little tumbling class at the moment. That's the only thing we do right now. I think it's over all good to expose them to music and sports of some sort, but I wouldn't stress about it either. If the girls seem intersted and love it though, then sure! I can't wait to see what they do!

Amber said...

I think if you start kids too young in anything they burn out. I have heard that waiting until at least 7 for piano is best. I am glad I waited with Caden until he was 8 for piano. Also, one sport a season is good and just rotate like Valerie said. I am no expert but that is what I'm learning is best. Swimming is easy because it is just a few weeks during the summer usually. I sign my kids up every summer for that. As they get older she will have activity days which is also once a week. Anyway, I say go for it if you know they like something. I know Caden likes being involved in more extracurricular stuff so I sign him up for a lot more then I do Kaylee. I think Justin will be similar to Caden. He is dying to have me sign him up for soccer, breakdance, etc and I am going to do soccer for him in the spring. I hope this all helps although like I said earlier...I am not an expert and am just learning as I go.